Quick Peek

I am hoping to update our "Quick Peek" section soon. 1-30-17

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A reminder about talking/singing greeting cards

I got this from my friend Jackie's blog

I want to pass on the following information to all the parents who read this. Button battery injuries in children ages 1-5 are on the rise, much of which is because of those talking greeting cards. PLEASE do not send anyone who has children in the home a talking greeting card! I promise you that it isn’t worth it. Also, PLEASE ad a quick layer of duct tape to things like the remote that all children play with, but probably shouldn’t. Here is some very helpful and important information about what to do if your child swallows a button battery from the National Capital Poison Center in Washington DC.

This is an excerpt from the blog listed below. Poor Hazel swallowed a small button battery and was repeatedly sent home by various doctors being told she had a virus, croup, or a bronchial infection. 6 days later, it occurred to a doctor to do a chest x-ray, but by then, the battery acid had leaked into her esophagus, causing very severe damage.

If you want to read the entire story (have tissues handy) here is a link to their blog: http://www.hazelana.blogspot.com/

Please keep this family in your thoughts, as Hazel has a long way left to go. And remember, think twice before purchasing talking cards for families with small children.

No comments: